If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best compact treadmill is, then I’d recommend the LifeSpan Tr3000i Folding Treadmill as the best one.
It’s been my experience that a compact treadmill allows you to get a great cardio workout from home so you can run, walk, and jog your way to a healthy lifestyle. Monitor your speed, distance, incline, calories burned, heart rate, and much more from the console. Most compact treadmills fold up to help save space.
Benefits of Running on a Treadmill
I think you should consider the following benefits when deciding whether to purchase a treadmill:
- Outdoor running provides visual stimulus, emotional release, and a challenging workout – except when it’s raining or cold outside. With a treadmill, you can run any time you want – especially if it’s raining or cold outside.
- Running on a treadmill reduces your risk of injury. Running on pavement or uneven surfaces can cause strains, sprains, fractures, and knee and joint pain.
- Treadmills can help improve your form. Improving form also helps reduce your risk of injury. With the ability to control the belt speed and incline, you can simulate various outdoor environments to help improve your form.
- With a treadmill, you have no excuse not to go for a run, walk, or jog. If you tend to procrastinate when it comes to running outdoors, distract yourself by getting on your treadmill and running while watching television or listening to music.
Health Benefits of Running
The health benefits of running include:
- Lower risk of heart disease and cancer
- Burns calories
- Strengthens bones and joints
- Reduces stress
- Improves overall quality of life
- Promotes good eye health
If you have a long-term injury, you shouldn’t participate in strenuous, high-impact cardio exercises. That said, I recommend you walk two or three times a week for 10 to 20 minutes. Do not resume your regular activities until your physician gives you the go-ahead.
Walking on a treadmill helps increase blood flow, increase your heart rate, stretches muscles, and releases tension in the joints. A slow walk can help boost your mood and help your injury heal a little faster.
Cardio Training: How Often Should I Run on a Treadmill?
I recommend that you run on your treadmill three to four times per week to see results. The amount of time depends on your speed, incline, current fitness level, and your fitness goals. Start out slow and increase time, speed, and incline as your strength and endurance improve.
I also recommend that you take a day or two off from running to help your body repair and rebuild muscle. On your days off, participate in yoga, meditation, light walking, or another type of low-impact exercise. Mixing up your fitness routine keeps you from becoming bored. Different workouts also help you develop multiple muscle groups for total body health.
To stay motivated, record your progress in a journal. Keeping a journal allows you to see where you can make improvements and to see where you have made strides in your workout routine.
What to Look for in The Best Compact Treadmill
When looking for the Best Compact Treadmill, I look for the overall construction, tracking options, and incline levels. Select a treadmill with a steel frame for stability. You want this treadmill to last a long time.
Tracking options tell you valuable information about your workout. I recommend choosing a model with a heart rate monitor so you can measure your pulse accurately.
Choose a model with multiple incline levels. The more incline levels, the more challenging the workouts will be even as your strength and endurance improve.
Top 5 Best Compact Treadmills
Here’s a complete list of compact treadmills that I like.
The LifeSpan TR3000i allows you to track your progress using three different dashboards that highlight running time, calories burned, pace, distance, pulse, speed, and incline. Lightweight, this compact treadmill folds up for easy storage.
With 38 workouts to choose from, this treadmill provides a challenging daily workout at home. This treadmill also features 15 levels of incline for added intensity. Speed ranges from 0.5 to 12 MPH.
The full-steel frame provides stability, while the 20 inch by 56 inch 2-ply running belt provides a smooth surface for running, jogging, or walking. The one-inch deck and eight compression shock absorbers help ensure comfort and safety while reducing noise.
The included side rails keep the running belt securely in place, while the mounted wheels (two in front, two in the back) allow for easy moving.
Take advantage of the Bluetooth speakers to listen to your favorite music. Use the USB charging port to plug-in your phone while you workout.
The multi-functional console includes a variety of features that include:
- Display area – a 7-inch full-color touch screen provides three dashboard views, track view, graph view, and gauge view
- Programs – two customized user programs, two heart rate programs, and 17 preset programs (five healthy living, seven sports training, five weight management)
- Heart rate monitor – contact heart rate sensors help provide valuable health stats
- Cooling fan – three speeds
- 21 built-in exercise programs
I really like these additional features:
- IntelliStep – for counting steps
- IntelliGuard – stops the belt from moving after 20 seconds of non-use
- Quickset Speed and Quickset Incline buttons – allows users to change speed and incline
- Unit Dimensions: 71 inches long by 33 inches wide by 56 inches high (unfolded), 42 inches long by 33 inches wide by 56 inches high (folded)
- Unit Weight: 225 pounds
- Maximum User Weight: 350 pounds
The SereneLife SLFTRD18 Smart Folding Compact Treadmill has an extended running deck with a belt that measures 39.3 inches long by 13.4 inches wide for varying your stride when running, walking, or jogging.
This treadmill folds up easily for storage and features soft drop hydraulics for safe unfolding. The transportation wheels allow you to move the treadmill at your convenience.
The LCD screen displays health tracking information such as calories burned, heart rate, distance, time, and speed. Use the preset training modes to select different workouts. This treadmill has adjustable speed settings for an additional challenge.
Some of the features I like about this treadmill:
- Links to the FitShow App through different devices including laptops, tablets, and phones using Bluetooth (suitable for both Android and iOS devices)
- Removable device holder
- Speed range – up to 6 MPH
- Safety key and emergency shut-off button
- Built-in hand grip sensors to monitor heart rate
Unit dimensions: 27.5 inches long by 24 inches wide by 51.2 inches high
Maximum weight support: 265 pounds
The NordicTrack T6.5 Si treadmill provides an interactive exercise experience with iFit. You can work out with live trainers who control your treadmill by adjusting the speed and incline for an increased challenge during the workout. You also have access to 16,000 on-demand workouts for variety.
You will receive a free one-month individual trial to iFit and then pay a membership fee to continue.
This treadmill has a 20 inch by 55 inch commercial tread belt for running, walking, and jogging. The FlexSelect deck cushioning technology found underneath the belt helps protect joints.
Complete with a 10-inch Smart HD touch screen, this treadmill tracks speed, pace, distance, calories burned, and more. Two 2-inch digitally amplified speakers allow for exceptional sound.
This treadmill also features an auxiliary music port for customized music listening.
I think these features are worth considering:
- One-touch controls
- Up to 10 percent incline
- Speed range 0 to 12 MPH
- EKG grip pulse for heart rate monitoring
- 20 on-board workouts
- SpaceSaver Design with EasyLift Assist
- Unit Dimensions: 73.5 inches long by 36 inches wide by 54 high
- Maximum User Weight: 300 pounds
The ProForm2000 treadmill has a 7-inch oversized LCD screen for viewing workout stats such as calories burned, speed, distance, pace, and more. This treadmill includes a 1-year subscription to iFit, an interactive exercise experience that allows you to work with trainers from around the world.
This treadmill has a 22 inch by 60 inch deck with ReBound Pro cushioning to provide comfort while protecting joints. The extended belt length allows you to take longer strides to get the most from your workout. The non-flex rollers found underneath the deck help reduce noise while providing added stability.
You can easily fold this treadmill to quick storage.
- Bluetooth capabilities
- iFit compatible
- Google Maps scenic routes
- 32 on-board workouts
- Dual 3-inch speakers
- CoolAire Fan
- SpaceSaver Design with EasyLift Assist
- Speed range 0 to 12 MPH
- Decline from -3 percent to 15 percent
Unit Measures: 39.15 inches wide by 79 inches deep by 71.4 inches high
Maximum User Weight: 300 pounds
The Horizon Fitness Go Series Treadmills T101 Bluetooth Connected Treadmill has a running area that measures 20 inches by 55 inches with a deck thickness of 0.7 inches for stability and comfort. The belt, made from durable 1.4-millimeter silicone, creates a smooth running surface. The 3-zone variable response cushioning (push-off zone, transition zone, and impact zone) absorbs shock to help prevent joint injuries.
The treadmill console features three LED windows that display workout feedback information including calories burned, speed, time, incline, and heart rate. The console has six program options: weight loss, calorie, distance, time, and manual. The included contact grips allow you to measure your heart rate.
- Audio In/Out jack
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Water bottle holder
- Phone/tablet rack
- Energy saver mode
- USB port
- Speed range 0.5 to 10 MPH
- Incline range 0 percent to 10 percent
Unit Measures: 73 inches long by 29.5 inches wide by 12 inches high
Maximum User Weight: 300 pounds
Owning a compact treadmill erases any excuses you can think of not to work out regularly. I know that running, walking, and jogging provide many health benefits. Treadmills allow you to work out regardless of what the weather looks like outside.
Running on a treadmill also helps reduce your risk of injury by protecting your bones, joints, and muscles from hard surface shock and uneven terrain.